Are you an Embedded Software Engineer who has held senior level positions that encompassed project and people management? Are you seeking an exciting new role? BW is looking for a well-rounded senior embedded software engineer to join our team.
BW Broadcast is an internationally recognised brand, supplying FM broadcasting equipment worldwide, from large New York-based radio stations to community radio stations in Sudan. Our company ethos is to be creative, innovative and produce groundbreaking products that influence the industry. BW is no stranger to industry awards – with many of our products being recognised for both design & innovation.
We are looking for a talented embedded programmer to join our Research & Development Team who can not only juggle all the responsibilities of a senior software engineer, but can also take the lead in project management in results driven environment. We need an excellent communicator, comfortable dealing with other R&D engineers as well as Production. You will be a highly motivated individual, capable of taking the lead in developing innovative solutions and inspiring colleagues.
You have significant experience in both project management and people management and are a natural born leader. You can easily switch between proactive and reactive and can work in an environment with various dynamics that often lead to the change in direction. You’re comfortable taking on the responsibility of managing a team of engineers, with a history of mentoring / coaching and team leadership.
You’re results driven and can focus your time and efforts on your own work load, but can also provide guidance and support to the rest of the team when required.
For the best possible fit, we are looking for someone who communicates well and who can set the path for software development.
Our must haves are someone who has:
- 10+ years experience in software engineering
- BS degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- A minimum of 5 years experience in project management in an engineering environment and experience with project management tools
- Experience in hands-on development and troubleshooting on embedded targets.
- Solid programming experience in C and C++
- Proven experience in embedded systems design with preemptive, multitasking real-time operating systems
- Familiarity with software configuration management tools, defect tracking tools, and peer review
- Excellent knowledge of OS coding techniques, IP protocols, interfaces and hardware subsystems
- Adequate knowledge of reading schematics and data sheets for components
- Strong documentation and writing skills
- Live within a reasonable commute of our Croydon based office (45 minutes max)
You will also be able to get going on your own accord – will be a leader and someone who can be relied heavily upon for ensuring the team reaches targets and deadlines. You have the ability to focus on your work without losing sight of what’s going on around you and the wider company objectives.
You will need to wear two hats – Embedded Software Engineer & Project Manager
On the software side, you will be responsible for:
- Designing, developing, coding, testing and debugging system software
- Reviewing code & design
- Designing & implementing software of embedded devices and systems from requirements to production and commercial deployment
- Analysing and enhancing efficiency, stability and scalability of system resources
- Integrating and validating new product designs
- Support software QA and optimize performance
- Provide post-production support
- Interface with hardware design & development
- Assess third party and open source software
- Software repository management
- Embedded software development
On the project management side, you will be responsible for:
- Establishing project schedules and technical requirements, managing project from initiation to transfer
- Review daily project schedule and identify problem areas
- Assess causes of problems and provide technical support and direction to project team/product manager to resolve issues
- Communicate requirements, specifications and project schedule and budget constraints to cross-functional teams, including engineers, senior management, production team, and consultants
- Maintain plan documents, procedures and project deliverables
- Assist in the management of larger projects / programmes
- Recommend policy/procedure changes that may prevent or rectify ongoing problems or issues
- Interact frequently with the management team and individual product managers
- Leading a team, providing guidance, structure and mentorship along the way
Why You Should Join BW
Joining our team means that you will be working in dynamic environment and you are fearless of our next big challenge. Even though we work hard at BW, we make sure our employees are happy – hard work & enthusiasm are always appreciated & rewarded. All employees get:
- A competitive salary, with regular reviews
- A company pension scheme with 4% contributions from BW
- Profit Sharing
- Health Insurance, which includes a subsidised gym membership
- Perkbox Subscription which includes a free Tastecard, free monthly coffee, discounts on the high street, and much more!
- 5 Weeks Holidays + Your Birthday off
- Staff events throughout the year – some near, some far (this year, we went to Amsterdam for a weekend)
Applying is easy but takes time. You know all about us now & what we’re looking for, so it’s your turn to provide us with some info! Finding the exact right candidate in a sea of many applicants is a daunting process, so help us find you! Make how great you are very obvious for us so we don’t accidentally overlook you. The easiest way to stand out from the crowd is to answer a few questions:
- Tell us about you! Why are you the best for the role? What makes you an engineering ninja? No detail is too trivial so load us up with info about your skills & experience.
- Tell us about your experience in managing a team. What have been some of your proudest moments?
- Fill us in on your project management experience. What was the most diverse project you managed? How did it go?
Please put “Senior Embedded Software Engineer Application” in the subject of your email. All applicants should have the right visa/ability to work in the UK without requiring sponsorship. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Please no phone calls.
Please send the above information, along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Whilst we are happy to work with agencies, we have non-negotiable terms that must be agreed to prior to accepting any CVs. Unsolicited CVs will not be accepted. Terms can be provided to you by emailing email@example.com. Phone calls with respect to this role will not be accepted at this time.